Saturday, March 12, 2011

Quid

Quid means why in Latin- and as far as I am concerned it is the most pesky question. It's always hanging about and the farther your follow it, the harder it gets to answer. But, thanks to the powers at be for making the human mind the way it is, human reason is equipped with machinery that does not ask you if you want to ask why, it just assumes you do. The why seems to be tied inextricably to the process of thought. It generates the premise that everything has a because. I think the why hangs some people up more than others or actually maybe just in different ways. Maybe some people are more obsessed with the theoretical why; others with the practical. Our mind is designed to begin at a premise and proceed from it to another and then to another. The why is most pesky when it rears its head at the premise. Why start here? Why is this so? And we just have to answer. Because.

An easier 'why' has reared its head at the start of this blog. It's simple and, like all why's, it must be asked- Quid blogare volo? (Why do I want to blog- and yes, I do in fact believe that the Romans used 'blogare' as the infinitive 'to blog'). Well, the answer is complicated as are most- but to put it simply- I think I want to talk consistently in a way that comes more naturally to me i.e. writing rather than talking. I want to see what it is that I think about practical and non-practical things. In the mind of a (7), movement from one idea to the next is faster than mental apparatus can grasp and remember each idea. The only way to hold onto things thought, for me, is to write them down and reread them, or have them fortuitously (or not so fortuitously) re-occur. This is an attempt at helping recurrence. Also, you cannot lose a blog (but you can lose a journal or 7). (Unless you forget the password, which unfortunately, in Peru, happened to us).

Also, another reason could be that here, in Scotland, I feel less of myself because I am less with like-minded people whom I love and by whom I am loved. This is an attempt to be known far away. I appreciate everyone who has blogs to let me see what they would be telling me over coffee or just sitting on their bed talking.

Well, If this was a ship I would christen her (the word christen is amazing) but since it's not, let's pretend it is (because that makes the most sense).

"I name this ship Over Iris and may she bring fair winds and good fortune to all who sail on her." Or
"I name this ship Over Iris may God bless her and all who sail in her."

Now, standard procedure would be to break champagne over her (or wine). Which I will act out now.

Well, that business is done! And here we go!

(Interestingly, the Titanic was never christened and the USS Arizona was only christened with water... superstitious? maybe. but, what's wrong with erring on the side of caution)

No comments:

Post a Comment